Archive for February, 2012

The Jude Meter

February 14, 2012

There have been several posts on the internet of attempts to copy the chidren’s growth chart that looks like a wooden ruler originally sold by Pottery Barn. This post shows my attempt at making a Jude Meter for my grandson Jude. I started with a knot-free pine board 6 feet long and 7 inches wide. The board was edged with a 1/8 inch roundover bit on the router to soften the edges. The board was then sanded with 120 grit paper and stained with two coats of Cabots pecan stain applied by brushing and wiping off with a soft rag.

Next I added ruler marks with a paint pen. The marks started with 6 inches at the bottom and 6 feet 6 inches at the top. The lines were made 3 inches long at the foot marks, 2 1/2 inches long at the half foot marks, 2 inches at the quarter foot marks, and 1 inch long at the other inch marks.

Three inch vinyl numbers were used as templates for the foot designations. The vinyl numbers were traced with a ball-point pen and then removed. The numbers were filled in by paint pen.

The surface was then covered by spray polyurethane. Care must be taken because the paint pen paint will run if touched before the spray finish dries. Three coats of spray finish were applied with light sanding by 220 grit sandpaper between coats.

A sawtooth hanger was attached to the back for hanging with the bottom 6 inches off the floor. If Jude follows his father and grows tall I might be adding more length at the top in his late teens. In the meantime, 6 1/2 feet ought to do it.

Jewelry Armoire

February 7, 2012

My daughter Treah always wanted one of the armoires built by her grandfather, but she was not lucky enough to get one. I decided to make one for her last birthday. After searching several sources I settled on a design published in issue 106 of Woodsmith magazine. The project turned out to be quite challenging, but a lot of fun. I decided that if I was making one I might as well make three. two of them are now in the final stages of completion. Treah received hers for her birthday in June. The armoires are constructed of cherry and cherry plywood. The first step was to cut and glue up the pieces for the case. The case includes slots for nine drawer runners.

The case was then glued up.

The top and bottom were then added. Creating the rounded lines of the top and bottom were fun and eventful.

The armoire contains nine drawers. That meant that 27 drawers were made for the three armoires. I had quite a production assembly going. Spacers had to be added above and below the drawers. I also made a trip to Jo-Ann Fabrics where I bought tan-colored felt for the drawer bottoms.

Next was construction of the doors. Getting the doors glued up square took a bunch of clamps and squares.

The doors were added with much adjustment to get the gaps and lines right.

The Queen Anne legs needed mortises cut. Two mortises per leg by 12 legs equals 24 mortises cut. That required several Yeunglings to complete.

The bases were then constructed and hardboard templates were used to draw the curves on the spanners.

The case was attached to the base and doors removed for finishing with five coats of tung oil.

Treah (and Vandy) were quite happy with the result.

Now the challenge is for Treah’s Aunt Rosemary to make her enough jewelry to fill the sucker.